Removed

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://myjourneystories.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Phsar Reatrey (Night Market) – Phnom Penh, Cambodia


        Prior to our trip to Cambodia, I suddenly had a gastric attack and felt extremely bad. I was staying in my cousin’s room for one night upon our arrival to Medan, Indonesia, after the flight from Vietnam. That night I was struggling with my stomachache. I was wriggling on my bed just like a worm trying to stand against that pain. The next morning, I still had this nausea and thought I would give up my trip to Cambodia. I was in dilemma since we had bought the flight tickets with a quite high price. But praise the Lord, finally I threw up and felt much better and we headed to Cambodia to continue our honeymoon trip.
        Going to Cambodia was a struggle for me because we almost cancelled our trip. Though the country is an infamous honeymoon destination among newly weds, we were curious about it. We do not speak any Cambodian nor knew much about the country. Apart from the knowledge that it is a poor and less developed country, we had no idea of what it really looks like. Fortunately, my husband has a friend who has been working there for years and he asked for his help. His friend then asked his subordinate to accompany us during our stay there. We flew by Malaysia Airlines and arrived at Phnom Penh International Airport. We found striking differences between Vietnam and Cambodia. The texture of the land was totally different. In Vietnam, the land was lush and green while in Cambodia it was dry and arid. I had some doubt in my heart about the country. The airport was also smaller and less modern than the one in Vietnam.

IMG_0721
        After proceeding through the immigration we met our friend at the exit gate and he welcomed us warmly together with his friend. He helped us order a tuk-tuk, a typical Cambodian motor cart, to take us to our guesthouse. Once we arrived at the guesthouse, we were overtired that we slept until late afternoon. My weak physical condition and the dusty roads of the city had made me lose my excitement to explore the places. However, rather than wasting my time lying on bed inside the room, I decided to force myself to go out wearing a cardigan to protect myself from the night wind. We had dinner first nearby the guesthouse then went to an apothecary to buy some medicine. I once again vomited after taking one capsule and my head was very dizzy. My husband made sure that I was OK and able to have the trip. I was determined to accompany him to enjoy the night view of the city. We caught a tuk-tuk with our friend as the guide and translator. We went to the Riverside area to visit the Night Market there.
        The Night Market in Phnom Penh or known as Phsar Reatrey is located on the riverfront and specially built for visitors and tourists. The market started its first operation in November 2007 and since then it has attracted a large number of tourists and created waves in the city. My first impression about the market was it was messy and dirty. There were many litters on the ground. The market has more than 150 stalls made of bamboo and covered with traditional thatched roofs selling a wide range of items from Cambodian handicrafts, silks, art, ornaments, and souvenirs. It is only open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 5 pm to midnight. In the middle of the market is a big stage where a musical performance is occasionally held. When we were there, we watched some Cambodian singers singing Cambodian songs and many people watched them. There is also a picnic area where visitors can enjoy their meal on a mat while listening to music.

IMG_0714

IMG_0715The market was crowded with visitors and tourists. Watch out your belongings when you shop. Beware of theft and pickpockets. Always remember to bargain half of the price whenever you shop in any Asian traditional market. Though Cambodia has its own currency, which is Cambodian Riel, the most often used and widely acceptable is US dollar as the country is still highly dependent on export trade.


IMG_0717The entrance gate to the market. By the time we were there, the whole country was mourning over the decease of their King Sihanouk. The picture of the King was hung in every place all over Cambodia. 


IMG_0719

IMG_0721 

        We only bought some souvenirs such as photo frame, I love Cambodia T-shirts and some ornaments.  After shopping, we soon went back to our guesthouse to rest and prepare for the next day’s trip.




Sources:
Personal experience and additional information from other online articles

0 komentar:

Post a Comment